I think this black raspberry macaron filling recipe is my favorite macaron to make. 90% of the time, my nails are some shade of purple and it’s just so fun to try to match the batter to the nail color.
Amethyst, lavender, violet, lilac…
There are so many shades of purple you could make these. This is a very simple recipe with only a few ingredients. The jam is important. Make sure you taste a few and get something really flavorful without it being too sweet. If you can get your hands on a jar of this Walnut Creek jam, do it. If not, any high quality black raspberry jam will do.
You know what these are really good with? A little bit of peanut butter. It’s like a little peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
I feel silly even writing this recipe out, it’s so simple. The filling is a little on the sweet side. I like to just pipe a light layer onto the macaron shells. You could also add a little bit of heavy cream too. Start with a teaspoon and add it after you add the powdered sugar.
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons black raspberry jam
- Using the paddle attachment in a stand mixer, add the butter and jam and whip together on high speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and turn the mixer on low, scraping down the sides occasionally. Once the ingredients are combined, turn it up to high and beat until fluffy.
- Put the filling into a piping bag and pipe onto macaron shells. Any classic macaron shell works.
- Sandwich a macaron shell on top and refrigerate.
If you’re struggling to consistently make great macarons, check out my step by step macaron course. It’s an easy French macaron recipe that provides consistent results. There’s an option for a detailed guide and an option where you’ll get the guide and a video course. Check it out here.