I’m so excited to share this gluten free birthday cake macaron filling recipe. It’s very hard to find a birthday cake recipe that doesn’t have flour in it. I had to do a lot of experimenting but one special ingredient really makes it taste like birthday cake.
These are perfect for celebrations where there will be guests on a gluten free diet. All macarons are good for that, but birthday cake is such a nostalgic flavor.
Sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkles
It’s one of the most popular flavors I make and there’s so many different sprinkles and colors you can use to make these. Check out some fun sprinkles here.
So many flavor possibilities
You can do any color or like a swirl of two colors. Also, you can totally change this recipe to make it different flavored cake. You could do lemon birthday cake macarons with a little lemon extract and lemon juice, or you could add a dollop of raspberry to the center and have a raspberry cake macaron. Or, call me crazy, but I’m thinking lemon birthday cake macarons with a raspberry center.
Lemon, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, orange…
Use this filling with the classic French macaron shells. Get the recipe here. Make sure you put the sprinkles on right after you pipe the macarons and hit them down on the counter. If you do it before, you’ll have sprinkles flying everywhere.
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar (packed)
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon butter extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla pudding mix
- 4 teaspoons whole milk powder
- pinch of salt
- Using the paddle attachment in a stand mixer, add the butter and brown sugar and whip together on high speed until light and fluffy. Don't skip this. The mixture should be very fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and turn the mixer on low, scraping down the sides occasionally. Once the ingredients are combined, turn it up to high and beat until fluffy.
- Put the filling into a piping bag and pipe onto macaron shells. Any classic macaron shell works.
- Sandwich a macaron shell on top and refrigerate.
If you’re struggling to consistently make great macarons, check out my step by step macaron course. It’s an easy French macaron recipe that provides consistent results. There’s an option for a detailed guide and an option where you’ll get the guide and a video course. Check it out here.